Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Colorado, I was represented by a firm thru sentencing. Given

Customer Question

My name is Adolph ***************
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was represented by a firm thru sentencing. Given 5 yr probation. One of the terms of probation is that when my restitution is paid in full i am done. I have a probation officer and on Oct 17 was sentenced to 90 days with work release for not responding to an email from my po within 48 hrs. I have come up with the $$ to pay the balance of my restitution and fees. If i do this will i be release from the balance of the sentence. I was pro se through these proceeding
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My work release schedule is 9:30 a.m. and have to return by 9 30 pm *************** is my cell #
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

If someone is on probation and they violate the rules of the probation, then the Court may:

-terminate the probation for violation and sentence a person to prison;

-lengthen probation; or

-do whatever the Judge feels is fair, which can even be a combination of the two above.

By failing to respond to the P.O.'s email, this was a violation of the rules of probation. The court then ordered work release with 90 days because of it. This means that even once the money is paid up, one still has to complete the work release program as well if it runs over the original time.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!