Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Arrested for public drunkeness and harassment and issued

Customer Question

hello. Arrested for public drunkeness and harassment and issued summons for both charges. what kind of trouble am i going to be in?
JA: Has a warrant notice been sent? Is this a first-time offense for harassment?
Customer: no warrant notice has been sent, just the summons i was issued when released in the am after the incident. arrested for simple assault when i was 19 (23 years ago), but never for harassment
JA: In what state did this occur? And has an attorney been consulted?
Customer: PA, no, I haven't talked to an attorney
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: are these missdomenors or fellonys?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 28 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 28 days ago.

In Pennsylvania, harassment and public intoxication are typcially neither misdemeanors or felonies. They are summary offenses. The 23-year old record should not stand in the way of resolving these matters, which you could likely do with minimal damage to your record. A jail sentence is so unlikely as to be nearly impossible, so long as you show up on your court date and carry out any court mandates.

Get a lawyer for this, as they can be charged as misdemeanors if they are claiming that your behavior was outlandish and endangered others. If they are misdemeanors and can be reduced to summary offenses, you'll be able to expunge them and if you can get a deferred adjudication to resolve the case (supervision, fines, community service, alcohol treatment or counseling if necessary) you can then get the case dismissed and get it off of your record quicker.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 27 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.