Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a question about domestic violence...can you help me?

Customer Question

Good Morning. I have a question about domestic violence...can you help me?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It will be officially filed on the 16th but i will be charged with criminal mischief/domestic violence. I broke his tv. But does it matter if I was paying for the tv as well and I have proof?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The victim had punched holes in the wall at the house if that matters, but I was the one arrested.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.

Yes, the fact that the television belongs to both of you and you have the bills to prove you're paying it off should provide at least some mitigation with this case. I don't think it will be enough, however, to get the entire case dismissed.

Were the only injuries in this incident to property? Have you retained a lawyer yet? Have you had any previous contact with the criminal justice system?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.