Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm going to pretrial on a charge of 1st degree sales of

Customer Question

I'm going to pretrial on a charge of 1st degree sales of meth and 2nd degree possession charge 21 grams were found in home after they had a informant but a small amount of meth she wore a wire and had marked money but came in the morning with a search warrant they were from a different county knocked door down they didnt find no marked money and found nothing on anyone just in a purse with no wallet 100 cash and a casino card with my name on it I'm wondering if I took it to trial and somebody admitted it was there dope what would happen or if the informant didn't show up to testify what would happen
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes im charged with 1st degree sales and 2nd degree possesion
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm going to trial I'm thinking but maybe advice could help me decide
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm a little confused. At one point you say that 21 grams of meth were found and marked money. And then you say that there was nothing found. Was all the evidence turned up by the CI and nothing in the subsequent search?

If so, the informant would have to testify to make out the case against you. Without the CI the case would have to be dismissed.

If someone else said the drugs were his, however, that probably wouldn't make a difference in terms of you being charged. The CI still implicated you and the drugs were in your home, so you could both actually be charged with the crime with the state having to prove that you knew the drugs were in the house and had the opportunity to take custody and control over them.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.