How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 439
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step daughter stole $1,200 from my cash card to buy

Customer Question

My step daughter stole $1,200 from my cash card to buy drugs. I can have her prosecuted or send her to rehab. I'm trying to determine what will happen if she goes to court on this
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, just discovered it last night
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She's been to rehab before and a short stint in jail also for drugs
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I'm very sorry to hear this happened. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you and I'll be right back with you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

To clarify, when you mentioned 'cash card' are you referring to a debit card linked to your bank account, or was it some other type of card?

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

In any event, because the amount stolen was more than $500, your stepdaughter will be facing felony criminal charges. Since she has had prior criminal charges, then she won't qualify for any of the first offender diversion programs, and will instead be facing jail time and restitution fines.

If you do proceed with pressing criminal charges, you can let the prosecutor know that your stepdaughter has some drug addiction issues and that they were the cause of this theft-- the case should then be transferred to drug court, where she will most likely be assigned to a court appointed rehabilitation facility, and/or some jail time and probation. Please understand too though that while the case will be in drug court, it's not always guaranteed that a drug rehabilitation program will be assigned (although it is very likely), but there is also the possibility that the judge may choose to assign only jail time and/or rehabilitation. I just want you to be aware of all the possibilities.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!