LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

My grandson served his time in prison and is out has a hard

Customer Question

my grandson served his time in prison and is out has a hard time finding a job to pay for 20 thousand dollars they charged him for being in jail. he cannot get his license back until he pays it back. can he file bankruptcy he is 22 years old lives in florida.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tallahassee florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The federal courts have ruled that the "Pay to Stay" fees that some states/counties charge inmates during their period of incarceration are dischargeable in bankruptcy. Once the debts are discharged under federal law, the state will have to allow your son to get his license back, if the only thing preventing him from getting the license is his jail fees.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug