Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm currently going through a Divorce and found out when

Customer Question

I'm currently going through a Divorce and found out when trying to change passwords to emails that my doom to be ex has had access to my iCloud and setting up emails and alerts to either go to phone or his email isnt this illegal
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No Just found out saturday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I left over domestic violence and had a black eye and concussion in February.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Yes, every state has laws against computer hacking in their penal code. If you tell me what state you and your ex live in, I can direct you to the statute and you can see whether what he's done will make out a crime.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ca
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.

Computer crimes are defined and explained in California Penal Code 502(c) which reads:

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (h), any person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of a public offense:

(1) Knowingly accesses and without permission alters, damages, deletes, destroys, or otherwise uses any data, computer, computer system, or computer network in order to either (A) devise or execute any scheme or artifice to defraud, deceive, or extort, or (B) wrongfully control or obtain money, property, or data.

(2) Knowingly accesses and without permission takes, copies, or makes use of any data from a computer, computer system, or computer network, or takes or copies any supporting documentation, whether existing or residing internal or external to a computer, computer system, or computer network.

(3) Knowingly and without permission uses or causes to be used computer services.

(4) Knowingly accesses and without permission adds, alters, damages, deletes, or destroys any data, computer software, or computer programs which reside or exist internal or external to a computer, computer system, or computer network.

(5) Knowingly and without permission disrupts or causes the disruption of computer services or denies or causes the denial of computer services to an authorized user of a computer, computer system, or computer network.

(6) Knowingly and without permission provides or assists in providing a means of accessing a computer, computer system, or computer network in violation of this section.

(7) Knowingly and without permission accesses or causes to be accessed any computer, computer system, or computer network.

(8) Knowingly introduces any computer contaminant into any computer, computer system, or computer network.

(9) Knowingly and without permission uses the Internet domain name or profile of another individual, corporation, or entity in connection with the sending of one or more electronic mail messages or posts and thereby damages or causes damage to a computer, computer data, computer system, or computer network.

(10) Knowingly and without permission disrupts or causes the disruption of government computer services or denies or causes the denial of government computer services to an authorized user of a government computer, computer system, or computer network.

(11) Knowingly accesses and without permission adds, alters, damages, deletes, or destroys any data, computer software, or computer programs which reside or exist internal or external to a public safety infrastructure computer system computer, computer system, or computer network.

(12) Knowingly and without permission disrupts or causes the disruption of public safety infrastructure computer system computer services or denies or causes the denial of computer services to an authorized user of a public safety infrastructure computer system computer, computer system, or computer network.

(13) Knowingly and without permission provides or assists in providing a means of accessing a computer, computer system, or public safety infrastructure computer system computer, computer system, or computer network in violation of this section.

(14) Knowingly introduces any computer contaminant into any public safety infrastructure computer system computer, computer system, or computer network.

___

You can read the whole of section 502 here. The penalties would depend upon the subsection he violated, and they are enumerated in section (d)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how would I press charges
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Only the prosecutor can press charges. What you could do would be to report the crime, which you would do by going to the police, making out a police report, and letting them know that you want your ex prosecuted.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.