How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 24466
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I. Had a class misdeanor charge and it was for unlawful use

Customer Question

I. Had a class b misdeanor charge and it was for unlawful use of a weapon the case was mismissed then jus so happen to got to case net theres a warrant for my arrest same case the state picked it up and nit its a class b felony charge no gun in case only thing its sayin is that the defended said he did it but a statment was. Never signed what to do next
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Was the warrant for your failure to appear on the case, or are the police just looking for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No jus happend to go to case net and saw the warrant was issued yesterday but the case was originally mismissed
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dismissed now its a felony charge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are u there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are u able to help
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm very sorry for the delay. I had to take a phone call. I am back now and will be typing your answer.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Warrants are always bad news situations, so I'm not going to be able to tell you what you probably most want to hear. Even if this turns out to be a mistake, you're going to have to deal with it.

There is only one way to get rid of a warrant. That's for you to turn yourself in and then fight the charges. If you don't, warrants never expire. It will be out there against you until you take care of it.

If it's a serious felony charge now, when you do, you can expect to be incarcerated and to spend at least some time in jail before you can bond out. But the best chance you have of being released on your own recognizance or given reasonable bail is if you take care of this sooner rather than later, and if your surrender is voluntary rather than because the police caught you and arrested you.

The best way to take care of this is to retain a criminal lawyer in the jurisdiction where you are wanted and let the lawyer broker a voluntary surrender. In that case, he can help ensure that you go there at a time that's most convenient for you and that you spend as little time in the system as possible. He may also be able to find out what your bond would be and help with the posting of it. And, of course, if the warrant is a mistake or if you have to fight the felony, he could represent you in court.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.