Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

The people next door shot all the time. With a number of gun

Customer Question

The people next door shot all the time. With a number of gun types. He disturb my peace and quiet. What can l do? I live in Granville NC.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first step is to file a complaint with the police. If the police will not take action, then you have the right to file suit against the neighbor for trespassing on your property (if they are shooting onto your property) and also for nuisance for interfering with your use and enjoyment of your property by disturbing the peace in the area. AS part of your lawsuit, you would seek not only money damages but also a court injunction, which is an order to stop shooting and if they do not obey the order, then you can file a complaint and the police will arrest them for contempt of court.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The neighbors are shooting on their property, but disturbing my peace, and family with their constantly shooting.
Thank you for your reply.
Your only recourse if the police will not stop it would be to file suit as I said for nuisance for their constant noise disturbing the peaceable use and enjoyment of your premises.