Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience
16823287

Can a state regulated Bank refuse to accept a Texas

Customer Question

Can a state regulated Bank refuse to accept a Texas identification Card and demand a Texas Drivers license instead?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

This is governed by the Patriot Act and it matters not whether the bank is State or federally regulated bank. All banks are required to adopt a Customer Identification Program [CIP]. The CIP Rule requires banks to adopt written procedures to ensure proper identification of customers.

The Rule allows great flexibility for each institution to adopt procedures appropriate to its own size and customer base. This means the procedures may vary significantly from one company to the next. One bank, for example, may require you to submit only one item of identity while another may ask for several pieces of identification. The bank also has discretion to decide which form of ID it is willing to accept. So, the answer to your question is "Yes"; but you may want to ask for a copy the bank's written policy regarding acceptable forms of ID and see what other options you have; such as a passport or birth certificate.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.