Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am a guy living in Boise, Idaho who just turned 21 and am

Customer Question

I am a guy living in Boise, Idaho who just turned 21 and am dating a 17 year old girl at the moment. She will be 18 in 4 months and we plan on moving in together. Her dad has threatened to call the police on me for dating his daughter even though We have not and will not engage in any sexual activities until she is legal and we are married. Would I get into any trouble if he did decide to call the police?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

There is nothing unlawful about a 21 year old dating a 17 year old. It would be illegal for you to have sexual contact. You're aware of that and you have not engaged in any. It would also be illegal for you to do other activities that are legal for you but not for her, such as buying her alcohol or cigarettes or helping her sneak into clubs that don't allow minors. And, of course, you can't in other illicit acts with her, such as drug use. Absent anything along those lines, there's no trouble with the police that you could get into just for dating.

Since way before the days of Romeo and Juliet, some parents have disapproved of their children's romantic attachments. Her father can ground your girlfriend or punish her in some other way to try to keep the two of you apart, but if you haven't engaged in criminal activity with her and she welcomes your attentions, there's no trouble that you can get into just for dating a 17 year old.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.