Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have an upcoming court date and am unsure of my options or

Customer Question

I have an upcoming court date and am unsure of my options or outcomes due to the fact I don't not have representation at the moment . This is my 3rd court date since the arrest I was offered two pleas on misdemeanor charges I am also a felon on parole . it's a complicated situation I can go in detail if needed . I would like to know out comes options just the best overall information so that I can succeed in this situationThis is for a marijuana in Washington
I have paper work
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

What has the state offered you in terms of a plea agreement? What has your parole officer told you would happen if you took a plea? How much time do you owe Parole?

Why have you no lawyer? Are you eligible for a public defender?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Because I had a private attorney and couldn't afford them until a later date so as of now I have no representation and I also have already had to court dates and have received a plea offer from the da 2 ms my court date is next Monday
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I may be able to get the money for attorney this week
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

You did not answer all of my questions, but I suspect you really already know that your main problem is not a marijuana misdemeanor but it's the possible violation of the terms of your parole. As soon as you take a plea agreement, parole will likely violate you and you potentially will have to serve out the remainder of your sentence in prison.

That doesn't give you many options. One would be to fight the case, all the way to trial, if necessary in order to get an acquittal of the charge. How good a trial case you have, however, is something that i would not know. Another would be to fight the case and have your lawyer try to get the charge reduced to something that parole would not be inclined to violate you for.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have court on the 31st and plan to hire an attorney this week for a suppression is it to late for that ?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

No, it's not too late to hire an attorney. If you don't get to him at the very last second, he hopefully would be able to get a brief continuance to get himself up to speed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay after I hire my attorney on estimation how much time do I have until I must start trail ,I'm pursuing a suppression hearing ,Also what are my non jail options meaning what situations or circumstances that I will not serve any timeIf you need more information please tell me
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

As I indicated before, your big problem is not a misdemeanor but parole. If you win the misdemeanor, you should be able to avoid a big Parole hit on the violation.

Typically, if you have a suppression hearing and lose it, you would go immediately on to jury selection and trial, unless you decide at that point to take a plea.