Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A couple of months ago I received a ticket for public

Customer Question

Hello, a couple of months ago I received a ticket for public intoxication. This was a situation where I was walking down the street trying to find a hotel to stay at for the evening. Originally I was supposed to stay at my girlfriends house, but an argument broke out and the best and safest thing to do was walk away from the situation. I had been drinking and was not going to drive. By the time the officer stopped me on the road it had been several hours since my last drink. I was not being a nuisance nor was I a danger to myself for the public in any way. I was taken in anyway and charged with P/I. My court date is today and I am not sure if I should plead guilty because I had been drinking far earlier in the day, or if I have a defendable case because I was walking out of a bad situation and the only option I had to find alternative housing for the evening was to walk to a hotel. I do not currently have money for an attorney and the citation notified me that I was not entitled to a court appointed attorney. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me - do you have any prior criminal charges? Or is this your first one?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!