Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I just got an underage possession of alcohol ticket and the

Customer Question

i just got an underage possession of alcohol ticket and the car was undercover and not marked is there certain markings that have to be on said car like for undercover traffic cars?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i just got the ticket like 20 mins ago court date in november
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i was not asked for id when i purchased the alcohol
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

I am going to opt out for another expert.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

The idea that undercover cars have to be "marked" in some way so as to give the public a fighting chance is simply an urban legend. The police have no duty to do anything to announce their presence to the public if they are undercover and trying to catch people in criminal actions.

.'

The same goes for the myth that if you ask an undercover police officer if they are a cop they can't lie to you.... I am not sure where that myth came from, but it is ridiculous to think that an undercover narcotics officer could have his cover blown because he has to admit he is undercover if asked..

.

And if you weren't asked for ID, that means that he clerk is going to get cited for underage sales to a minor as well..

.

So the fact that the car wasn't obviously marked as being a police vehicle won't be a defense to the charge.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

thanks