Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

I'm looking for samples of letters for reconsideration of

Customer Question

I'm looking for samples of letters for reconsideration of sentencing.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry. Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: The lawyer will be filing the motion for reconsideration. I will meet with him tomorrow and my husband will be on the phone from jail. I have other letters to present but wanted to include one from me, and maybe one from him.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband took a plea agreement to possession of a firearm by a felon and all other charges were dropped. The judge at sentencing lectured about the charges that were dropped and even mentioned that because of the age of the gun that it probably didn't even fire.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

Here is one I found that might help you:

Dear Honorable XXX;

I am writing on behalf of YYYY in support of (whatever the goal of the motion is - yes, it's usually a reduction in sentence length, but sometimes it's in favor of probation or something else).

I know YYYY because (state your relationship, the closeness of the relationship if not obvious, and the duration of the relationship if not obvious). During the course of our relationship (make this sound like you, not a form letter pulled out of an attorney's head), I've known YYYY to be a fine, upstanding gentleman (put that in your own words) who has done (things he's done for the community and family).

As an example of his exemplary behavior (put that into your own words, please), (give a short, but potent anecdote of something selfless you witnessed him doing - helping an old lady across the street, joining the volunteer fire department, stopping 3 lanes of traffic to rescue a wounded dog, shoveling the snow from old lady so-and-so's driveway for the last 5 years without being asked or accepting payment, helping an indigent family find a decent dinner on Thanksgiving).

He has contributed similarly to his family and community by (list education, sports, military, religious, charitable, and other affiliations). (Noting the close nature of his relationship to an aging grandparent or his own children, and showing that they depend on him would be good here if applicable. If you always rely on him to help with the Christmas tree or some other, touching and intimate act of family, that would work, too).

I am aware that YYYY has done (the crime). I do not approve of his actions. However, since his arrest, he has actively sought to prevent himself from engaging in this type of behavior again. He has done this by (changing his friends, moving, doing therapy, going to AA or NA if applicable, etc, etc, etc). As a result of these efforts, I have noticed (list changes - no school truancies, he's retained a job and held it for x amount of time, he's not staying out late, he's taking the money he'd spend on booze or drugs and is using it to buy a car, help with household expenses, saving for his child's education, whatever that would be positive). (If alcohol or drugs were involved, you can note character changes that come with sobriety - I'm getting my son back sort of thing)

In short, Your Honor, I hope you can see that YYYY is far more than the person who committed this crime. I hope you can see that he's done a lot to help this community and his family. I hope that you'll take these things into consideration and reduce his sentence. (please, put all that in your own words - judges can tell when lawyers write letters for people).

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

Also see link:

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: