Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My daughter was arrested and jailed in Rusk County Jail,,

Customer Question

My daughter was arrested and jailed in Rusk County Jail, Henderson, TX . Her rented vehicle was stopped for speeding, vehicle and personal search, and 1/2 marijuana cigarette was found (uses when pain from cancer/chemo is bad). She is a college grad, professional and never been arrested. She cannot afford a lawyer (single parent) and is afraid to take the chance of a court-appointed lawyer. What should she do?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the officers, as I understand it, could have just written a ticket fine and let her go on her way. However, they searched vehicle (claimed they smelled something, but the cigarette was in her backpack. They arrested her, she spent the night in jail and I bailed her out Sunday a.m. for $1,000 bail and $250 for car impounded.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 5 days ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. As a reminder, all information provided here is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice.

Just to be clear, are the only offenses involved regarding your daughter speeding and marijuana possession?