How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3110
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was arrested and jailed in Rusk County Jail,,

Customer Question

My daughter was arrested and jailed in Rusk County Jail, Henderson, TX . Her rented vehicle was stopped for speeding, vehicle and personal search, and 1/2 marijuana cigarette was found (uses when pain from cancer/chemo is bad). She is a college grad, professional and never been arrested. She cannot afford a lawyer (single parent) and is afraid to take the chance of a court-appointed lawyer. What should she do?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the officers, as I understand it, could have just written a ticket fine and let her go on her way. However, they searched vehicle (claimed they smelled something, but the cigarette was in her backpack. They arrested her, she spent the night in jail and I bailed her out Sunday a.m. for $1,000 bail and $250 for car impounded.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. As a reminder, all information provided here is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice.

Just to be clear, are the only offenses involved regarding your daughter speeding and marijuana possession?