Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I live in. I've got a locked gate 1/2 mile from my house and

Customer Question

I live in ky. I've got a locked gate 1/2 mile from my house and the law and dhs just walked up on me in my yard . Over my girlfriends daughter not being in school. My question is did they have a right to cross my gate . And it plainly states do not enter
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you . I've had 4th amendment issues with this department and dhs already
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

The no trespassing signs, in general are not sufficient to keep the police off of your property. However, the sign in conjunction with a locked gate is an indication that you have an expectation of privacy and the 4th amendment arguably does protect you.

Absent probable cause and a warrant or an exception to the warrant requirement, such as an emergency situation, the authorities can't enter just to talk to you about something.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.