Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

A friend of mine wanted me to sign him up for school and a

Customer Question

A friend of mine wanted me to sign him up for school and a tax transcript request form was needed and he wasn't available to sign it so I signed it and months later he received the tax transcript and stated I forged his signature and went to the police. He's thinking that I filed taxes with it but it was only needed for school. What should I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Mississippi
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I am an attorney with over 20 years’ experience in multiple jurisdictions and I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

If he has not pressed charges, you will probably be okay. You indicated that you were doing him a favor by helping him sign up for school. He is confused right now because he thinks you were filing taxes using his information. You signed his name to obtain the transcript to help with the enrollment process. Of course, signing someone else's name without their permission is never a good idea, but in this case, you may have a defense. Signing his name without his permission is a crime of uttering forgery in Mississippi under Miss. Code 97-21-59. This code section states that anyone who is convicted of having uttered or published as true, and with intent to defraud, any forged, altered, or counterfeit instrument, or any counterfeit gold or silver coin, the forgery, altering, or counterfeiting of which is declared by the provisions of this chapter to be an offense, knowing such instrument or coin to be forged, altered, or counterfeited, shall suffer the punishment herein provided for forgery. Notice the words "intent to defraud". If that was not your intent, you may have a valid defense if he presses charges. In the meantime, you may want to try to talk to him and explain to him what your intentions were and that you were only trying to help him. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.