RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Is it illegal to have in your possession family nudism

Customer Question

is it illegal to have in your possession family nudism pictures that are not in any way sexually explicit
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Just to be clear, are we talking about photos of like your kids, nieces, nephews, that sort of thing?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Photos from a family nudism site. No Porn
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The pictures in question where from an online nudism site. Not in any way sexually explicit in nature. Did not display any lude or suggestive behavior.

I appreciate the clarification -- sorry for my misunderstanding.

That by itself, even if the pictures had minors in them, would not be unlawful. In order to be considered child pornography, a prosecutor must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant knowingly and intentionally possessed materials depicting a child under the age of 18 years at the time the material was created, engaging in sexual conduct, and the defendant knows this material depicts the child as such. It is also a crime to possess child pornography with the intention of promoting or distributing it. Under Texas child pornography laws, if six or more identical visual depictions of a child engaging in sexual conduct are found, then there will be a presumption that the defendant had intent to promote the materials. That's not the case here. And of course, if these are all adults in the photos and they have consented to the pictures, that's fine (even if engaged in sexually explicit acts with other consenting adults).

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The pictures where of whole families including children in a nudist colony. No one in any of the pictures where engaged in sexual activities or are they sexually suggestive.

I think you're fine then. As I said, there has to be an intention to possess materials depicting a minor child engaging in sexual activity. That's not the case. A child who is simply nude in the photo is not pornographic (if it was, lots of parents and family members would be in jail!).

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 days ago.

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or any additional information you needed? If so, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist further. Otherwise, I would kindly ask that you remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so that I am paid for my time and assistance. Thank you!