Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Can u suggest seriously free lawyer criminal lawyer I'm

Customer Question

Can u suggest seriously free lawyer criminal lawyer I'm facing multiple felony charges for firearms-
Fraudulent identification
Stolen vehicle
I have court this monday
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 days ago.

All criminal defendants who are potentially facing a loss of their liberty in criminal court but who cannot afford representation except at tremendous economic hardship are Constitutionally entitled to a free criminal lawyer.

Plead not guilty at your arraignment and then let the judge know that you are poor and ask him to appoint you a public defense lawyer. He will do so and adjourn your case until another date, at which time your lawyer will appear.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have had a alternate attorney but never been in trouble before
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don't have 59$ ..
Thanks anyways.....
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Have nice day
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 days ago.

That's okay. You don't have to pay for a phone call if you don't want and/or can't pay for one.

If you are poor you can get a free lawyer on a criminal case by asking the judge, whether it's your first arrest or not. If you're not poor, of course, you're going to be expected to pay for representation.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok so do I tell my public appointed attorney to tell the judge I'm poor right off the bat or they will know when
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 days ago.

You plead not guilty when you are arraigned on the charges. Arraignment is your first court date when the charges are formally read into the record and you are asked how you plead. As you're out of jail, there probably won't be a lawyer appointed to your case unless you tell the judge you need one. So as soon as you plead not guilty, you can tell him you're too poor for a lawyer and need a public defender.

The judge may or may not ask you questions about your income. If he feels you are entitled to a free lawyer, he'll do as I have indicated above. If not, he'll adjourn the case for you to go and hire someone.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it.

If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or 5 stars, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work here. You would still be able to ask further follow ups about this incident for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.