Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Can people take photo of other people in the park while

Customer Question

Can people take photo of other people in the park while people said, no.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 6 days ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Someone can take a picture of anyone in a public place without consent of the person being photographed. However, they cannot use the pictures for commercial purposes without consent of the person.

Can you tell me more particulars of this situation and the state you are in? I want to research exceptions that may apply.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My dog wanted play with his dog, but owner did not want. He wanted call police and animal control to report my dog in the Central Park during off leash time. 9am to9 pm. Dgs are allow to off leash. My dog loves his dog, but hump. Both dogs are make dog. His dog seems don't mind. Time to time, some dogs hump my dog. Unless agressive, I don't have any problem, no harm, but this owner became really want to report my dog is " attacking his dog " and sometime, my dog jumped on him. Just because my dog is really excited by his dog's smell. This the first male dog in his 5 years of his life, he wants hump. I don't know why. By put my dog is never agressive, he is called zen dog, very wise, calm, and gentle dog. I held my dog because owner wanted call police and animal control. But he stayed, good 30 min., meanwhile, I am on the ground holding my dog, I got injury on my both knee. I just don't want him to call animal control and take my dog. He took picture of my dog and me. I yelled at him, j" just would you go away, if you don't want my dog to play with your dog! ". He stayed, he left his dog near my dog, he sat on the bench hundreds fetes away. Meanwhile, I can not stand up because if I stand up, I am not string enough to hold my dog. I held my dog until he go away, my dog won't run after his dog.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 5 days ago.

Besides taking the picture of you, did this man threaten you in any way?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He said, will call police and animal control to take my dog. He uses his child. I saw him few times with his child, maybe 3-4 years old with stroller. He claims that my dog is danger to his child which my dog never touched his child.
What he did not like that one other day, when my dog went to hump on his dog, he got angered, but other dog owners told him to get lost because sometime, dog get excited or like too much or domination that what dog does. That made him so angered, want to revenge.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 4 days ago.

If you are concerned by his behavior towards you, you may want to avoid him and if he does not leave you alone, you may consider calling the police. Avoiding him will be best.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Going back to original question, anyone can photograph in the public without permission, but can not publish it, correct? Same for well known celebrities?

They cannot publish it for commercial purposes. They would need your permission for this.