Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I'm recently divorced and my ex-husband was verbally and

Customer Question

I'm recently divorced and my ex-husband was verbally and emotionally abusive during the marriage, as well as physically violent. We are coparenting our two young children, but my ex-husband continues to send me e-mails and text messages telling me he hates me, calling me psycho, sick nut, telling me that he will remove me from the childrens' lives, and even saying he can't wait for the kids to hate me. He also sends messages insulting my family members and, when I had a relative pick up the children during an Exchange (at the police dept), he refused to hand the children over and claimed that my relative was abusive. So the police did not force him to comply with the holiday schedule. He also spoke to the daycare officials and told them that I was a liar and that they are not to allow my relatives to pick up my children on my behalf without a court order. My ex-husband is an attorney and flaunts his status whenever possible. The e-mails and messages are abundant. I'm documenting everything in case I can use it in court, but isn't his behavior still abusive and harrassing?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Missouri. We divorced in Sept 2015 and he has continuously harrassed me via e-mail and Our Family Wizard, as well as via text. The latest incident was around 2 weeks ago.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My divorce attorney is aware that I'm documenting his behavior and she said the court generally wants to see a pattern of behavior. So I'm continuing to document. But I want to know my rights without paying her another $250 to discuss it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, this is about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

The only question I see above is "isn't his behavior still abusive and harrassing?" I'm sure you have more than that so please feel free to post them in this thread.

As to that question, I think the answer is clearly "yes". Those actions he are taken are textbooks examples of harassing behavior.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.