Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

Am i speaking with an automated system? connecticut, no, the

Customer Question

am i speaking with an automated system?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: connecticut
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the actual charge
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

I am a live person. Tell me how I can help you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was issued a ticket for possession of less than a half ounce of marijuana in Connecticut and am scheduled to appear in court this Monday. What are the implications of pleading guilty to the ticket? What are my options?

Give me a few minutes to give you a complete response.

Is this a first offense?

Also, can you please look at the ticket and give me the section of the law you are charged with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the state of Connecticut? Yes. I'm a 24 year old college student concerned with potential ramifications of a violation, researching the question has yielded really ambiguous answers.

I need to know what section of the law you are charged with? Can you take a picture of the ticket and attach it here?

If you are charged with PA 11-71 you face a fine of $150.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the delay, thanks for your help

Is that your charge?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Here is what the law actually says:

Public Act No. 11-71 AN ACT CONCERNING THE PENALTY FOR CERTAIN NONVIOLENT DRUG OFFENSES. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

Section 1. (NEW) (Effective July 1, 2011) (a) Any person who possesses or has under his control less than one-half ounce of a cannabis-type substance, as defined in section 21a-240 of the general statutes, except as authorized in chapter 420b of the general statutes, shall (1) for a first offense, be fined one hundred fifty dollars, and (2) for a subsequent offense, be fined not less than two hundred dollars or more than five hundred dollars.

(b) The law enforcement officer issuing a complaint for a violation of subsection (a) of this section shall seize the cannabis-type substance and cause such substance to be destroyed as contraband in accordance with law.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.