Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A

I have a friend who was arrested and was given a bail set at

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
I have a friend who was arrested and was given a bail set at $55,000. He is asking me to go and bail him out as he has the money. However, I was wondering if that would somehow affect me due to the high bail amount. Will I have to provide information on the money when I get there. Or do I have to report that to the IRS at the end of the year.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with experience in multiple jurisdictions and I look forward to assisting you today. Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed herein; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JustAnswer will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Are you posting 10% of the $55K or are you paying $55K total for the bail?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The total amount of $55,000 I believe.

Most jurisdictions require that an individual who posts a cash bail in the amount of $10,000 or more for someone, must complete an IRS Form 8300 at the time of the transactions. The person posting the bail must present a valid picture ID. So if the bail amount is $10,000 or more a 8300 form must be completed and will be filed with the IRS. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Do you have any additional related questions? If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so that I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the rating section above so I do appreciate a positive rating before you leave the website. THANK YOU VERY MUCH