Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

In 2014 I was "5150'ed," or put on an involuntary

Customer Question

Hi. In 2014 I was "5150'ed," or put on an involuntary psychiatric hold for 3 days. I have been well and stable ever since. I want to apply for a government job (essentially manning 911 phone lines) and wonder if this 5150 on my record will disqualify me. The job would not require me to use or learn to use a firearm.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, nothing I can think og of, sorry
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, the 5150 on your record would not disqualify you, it would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act for them to disqualify you for that reason. You cannot be treated different based on a disability OR perceived disability. So for them to deny you employment based on that reason would violate the discrimination laws and give rise to right to sue the employer.