Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My son has been in DC jail for 2 1/2 weeks and was assigned

Customer Question

My son has been in DC jail for 2 1/2 weeks and was assigned a public defender, yet has still never talked to one. What can I do?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: He will not return our calls
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My son's charges were immediately dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor and bail is 50,000. He should be out by now!
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your son's attorney should have filed for a bail reduction when the case was dropped from a felony to misdemeanor. However, if he is not able to speak to his public defender (because they are so crazy busy) and you cannot hire a private attorney for him, then you need to actually go to the public defender's office if possible (or call if not) and speak to a supervisor there. You need to explain that his charges were reduced to a misdemeanor and $50K bail is excessive and a violation of his civil rights to reasonable bail and that he has had no contact with his appointed attorney, which also violates his rights. You need to get the public defender's office and convince them to get this to court, because it has to be filed in court to reduce his bail to seek his release.