Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

Does a minor have to go to court for first time curfew

Customer Question

does a minor have to go to court for first time curfew violation and shouldn't she have received ticket at he time. It was in superior wi
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: it just happened last night it was 1105 she got off work at 1030 called home to ask if she could bring a girl home that lives in Superior we live in Minnesota I said yes I am her mother
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she will be 18 in two weeks the officer said he was pulling her over for curfew violation but the car registers to me so how would he know she was under 18 before he pulled her over
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only as we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few moments to prepare some information for you. Thanks!

You're correct that the penalty should be a fine, between $100- $200. Was she not ticketed, and instead told to come to court?

Additionally, I understand your concern that it seems the officer pulled her over without knowing she was underage, however he may be able to defend himself by saying that she looked underage and so he pulled her over to verify. More importantly though, is that your daughter has the valid legal defense that she was running a legitimate important errand of which she had you permission. In which case, the ticket against her should be completely dismissed.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!