Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I live in Indiana, the other person lives in Illinois, no,

Customer Question

JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: I live in Indiana, the other person lives in Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 17 days ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Please let me know what your question is.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am a busy professional. I joined an adult sugar daddy site months ago. I have spent the last 2 weeks talking to a girl from Illinois I met on the site. The site states you have to be 18, and her page states she is 20. We have engaged in conversations that have had some sexually explicit conversations. Today, we had a sexually explicit facetime video conversations. Afterwards, she demanded money from me after she stated she was underage. I live in indiana. She told me on two occaisions she is 20.

I will opt out for another expert to answer this.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 17 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can assist with this.

This is a very popular scam. and you have no idea how many times in one day we get questions almost exactly like yours.

What you should do is NOTHING.

This scam is so popular that it has created a new word. That word is "sextortion" -- short for sexual extortion -- and it is a criminal offense.

Here's how it works:

You have been set up to chat with someone who deliberately turned the tables on you in order to blackmail you.

Unscrupulous people hover around on chat rooms and dating sites, and they lure in their victims by assuring them that they are of age but then engaging them in sexual chat and/or exchanging explicit pictures. Then, at some point later on, the target of the scam is told by either a parent or the girl herself that she is underage. And what they want is money or they claim they'll prosecute.

That's blackmail, of course, and one should NEVER give into that.

You need to block all contact with the so-called minor and send no money. She is almost certainly not underaged. She's probably not even female. You are dealing with frauds who have entrapped you for cold hard cash.

You should never give in to an extortion request. If you pay them, you'll have to keep paying them for the rest of your life. They only have power over you if you give in to them. If you don't, they lose their advantage.

Again, in these scams, there really isn't any minor at all. It's all just a way to intimidate you to get money. If you simply disappear, the scammers go away and move on to someone else, because it's not about reporting you but only about money.

The scammer can't really report it without producing a minor and swearing out a complaint with the real police, which means identifying themselves and leaving them open to a blackmail charge. Scammers won't risk that. If they can't get your money, they will move on to other victims and get theirs.

As many times as we get a question like yours, we have yet to hear of a blackmailer who actually pressed charges. After all, if there were really a minor, the minor would be guilty of a crime as well, and she entrapped you by claiming on the site to be over 18. You never had the intention of connecting with a minor.

So, to recap -- the chances are 100% that there's no real minor. Make copies of what you have that lists her as 20. Save whatever text messages you have. Then block all contact. You should also cancel your membership on the site where you met her.

The odds are extremely high that absolutely nothing at all will happen except that they will move on and try to set someone else up for blackmail. I cannot guarantee you that you have nothing to be concerned about, however, only that I have never known of a sextortionist to actually follow through.

You can google "sextortion blackmail scam" and see just how popular this is. But in the unlikely event that you hear from someone who claims to be a police officer, or if the minor or his friend or family member try to reach you some other way, say NOTHING about this incident to the police except that you do not wish to discuss anything until you can reach your lawyer.

That's your right and the authorities are required to honor that and can't hold that against you. Then you can go out and look for a local criminal lawyer.

But I'm quite convinced it will never come to that.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I never received a phone call
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 17 days ago.

Are you talking about a call from me or from the scammer?

You didn't get a separate phone call from the scammer's family. She baited you and switched up in the same conversation. But it's the same scam and the same problem.

If you're talking about me, you didn't get a phone call because there was no phone call request through the site. Phone calls are a premium service requiring an additional fee, but if you want one, I can send you the information on it.

You NEVER should pay a blackmailer. She loses all her power if you just walk away. Nothing she can do to you if you walk away is as bad as what will happen if you send her money. Do the latter and you'll be supporting her for the rest of your life. Walk away, and the worst case scenario is that she is real and reports you and you get charged with a crime. But you have a defense to the charges.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 15 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.