Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I have been slandered and harassed by an ex business

Customer Question

I have been slandered and harassed by an ex business colleague for over 5 years now and he is relentless with his Facebookpostings. He stole a bunch of my family photos when we were working together and he posts them on a Facebook impersonation of me. Then he uses his wife's friends to add vile, vulgar, offensive, sexual degrading comments about me and my family. I cannot use Facebook for my business because he does exactly the same thing and it is a huge embarrassment. How can I stop him? Can I sue him?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The guy lives in the UK and I have reported the matter to the Scottish police who visited him and warned him of the consequences of cyber bullying but of course he denied it and I have no idea how it can be proven
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is enough
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 16 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you in Canada or California?

The question is on the Canada law list but it looks like you may actually be in California?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If you are just going to set me up for fee after fee don't bother any further. Right now I need to consider what legal action i can take
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a US legal contributor.
Unfortunately, because he is in the UK, it comes down to having a court that will take jurisdiction over him legally. To get personal jurisdiction over him, you have to file suit where he resides, meaning you would need an attorney in the UK to file suit against him where he lives. You can sue for harassment, cyberbullying and defamation, but you have to sue this person in the UK, not the US and you can get a local attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, or