Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can a guy get in trouble by talking about doing things with

Customer Question

Can a guy get in trouble by talking about doing sexual things with a under age girl but never actually does only talks about it ???
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  brockluofm replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Is this guy talking directly to a minor, for example online, even if not actualy following through?Or is he simply talking to friends about a fantasy? I am going to opt out and change this category to legal so you can have a more thorough answer based on who this guy was talking to.

-Leah

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 3 months ago.

Good morning:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. As a reminder, all information provided here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute advice.

In what state would this scenario be occurring in?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** if you are still looking for help with this question I would answer.

It is not illegal to have a conversation with an adult about having sex with a minor. It is not illegal to have a conversation with an adult in which they are fantasizing that one of them is a minor. It is, however, illegal to have a sexual conversation with a minor to lure her into meeting you or to exchange explicit photos of her. In some states, just grooming the minor, that is laying the foundation for her being receptive for sexual contact with adults, is a crime as well.

Undercover officers frequent chatrooms and websites where minors can be found and they take on the identity of a minor and conduct stings. Unscrupulous people pretend to be minors and then blackmail the adults.

Having sexually explicit conversations with a minor is a minefield. You may or may not be able to get arrested, depending upon the facts and circumstances, but there's still plenty of other trouble you can get into. And, of course, if you are arrested and convicted, you face lifetime registration as a sex offender.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was no direct chat with a minor nor wer there photos it was only two adults talking about it but nothing was ever actually done
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

If it was just two people role-playing about having sex with a minor but both were adults, that would not be illegal.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it.

If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or 5 stars, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work here. You would still be able to ask further follow ups about this incident for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.