Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I am looking for an example of a letter to a judge

Customer Question

I am looking for an example of a letter to a judge requesting a court appointed attorney for representation at hearing for a felony
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: ND It is a class c felony charge of burgerly
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes but was told I need a $5000 retainer and I do not have any savings and have only worked for 1 month this year at $12 an hour. At the bail hearing they said I made too much for a court appointed attorney but I have no money
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

You actually aren't allowed to send a letter to the judge. That is called an "ex parte communication" and is forbidden and likely to get you into trouble.

If you contact the clerk of court's office they should have a form you fill out and file to request a court appointed attorney. Be sure you file the papers with the clerk of court and then you can send a copy to the DA as well as to the judge.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The clerk of court told me to write a letter to the judge

You aren't allowed to write a letter to the judge, but if you choose to do it then just be aware that there may be consequences. If you do decide to do it, send a copy to the DA and at the bottom of the letter put a cc: on there to show that it was sent to them.

Look up "ex parte communication".

If there is a public defenders office you could contact them as well and ask them what the procedure is for applying for a court appointed attorney.