Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

My husband and I got into an argument one day. He called the

Customer Question

My husband and I got into an argument one day. He called the township cops and when all was said and done the cop wasn't going to press any charges. But my husband did and so did I. The cop filed harassment charges. We received our citations but now I get a call from a constable saying he has a paper for me regarding my husband's harassment charges. I looked on the docket and he I guess requested a summary trial. I have never been through this or any trouble and I do not know what to do. We have sort of reconciled.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Pennsylvania and on 9/20/16. Charges filed 9/26/16.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I thought it was just a ticket to pay. I have never been in trouble besides traffic tickets 3 in my 41 yrs
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have pictures of brusies that happened from that day but did not appear till later that night/next day. The cop took pictures of both of us with his cell phone. I had marks on my arms I dont know what he had
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office where I also spent significant time working in the domestic violence division. I'm sorry to hear this happened. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, as we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Harassment is a 3rd degree misdemeanor, and is punishable by up to one year in jail if convicted. That being said, the prosecutor will still need to prove their case against you, which is often difficult to do without the cooperation and testimony of the victim in the case. In other words, if neither you nor your husband are willing to testify against each other in these cases, the prosecutor may end up having to dismiss the charges. To clarify, it's in the prosecutor's discretion to still continue with the case and allegations even without your testimony, however it makes proving the case very difficult. Without additional evidence or testimony from witnesses, it may prove impossible to meet the burden of proof against you.

Do you have an attorney? My recommendation would be to hire a local attorney to assist you in this process. Having a good attorney working on your behalf can make a big difference, especially in our legal system that can oftentimes be rather confusing. I know many attorneys will even accept some form of a payment plan, instead of having to pay all fees up front. Also, if you financially qualify, the court will give you a free, court appointed lawyer.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!