RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My ex and I have a child support case... My ex and I have a

Customer Question

My ex and I have a child support case...
My ex and I have a child support case going on.
He took my phone had his female relative call my job and cancel his credit card. I work for a credit card company. My job call me and question me saying it's my phone and my voice. can they file criminal charges against me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Only the state, through the prosecutor's office, can file criminal charges, so your job can't charge you with anything. And, it would require proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt (a high burden of proof). At best, ***** ***** thing I could see that could be charged is criminal use of personal information to harass.

Under Florida law, anyone who uses someone else’s personal identifying information without that person’s permission in an attempt to harass that person commits the crime of criminal use of personal identification information to harass. Using personal identifying information to harass someone is a first-degree misdemeanor. So, a prosecutor could charge you with that if they believe it was you who actually called and cancelled the card and did so to harass your ex. But they have to prove it was actually you calling.

Honestly, it's such a minor thing that I don't see a prosecutor involving themselves. If it was a bigger issue - it was alleged you used his identity to steal from him for example --that would be different. But I see this as more of your ongoing civil dispute.

I would be more concerned for you that your job thinks you did this and may take disciplinary action against you and not believe that it wasn't you.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Was there anything I could clarify for you or did you need additional information? If so, kindly REPLY and I'll be happy to help. If you don't need any additional assistance, I would greatly appreciate if you'd take a moment to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so that I am credited my for time and assistance. Thank you!