RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
8534270

Is there a time frame in which someone requests a court

Customer Question

Is there a time frame in which someone requests a court appointed attorney that the attorney must be chosen and contact the client? We are speaking of a case in which the client in incarcerated.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

So is the person here being held in jail and cannot make bond, give me more information here please, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he was arrested on 8-31 and has requested multiple times for an attorney. He's incarcerated for theft of property and bond is $50,000. He keeps telling me that after a certain time frame he thinks he can get a reduced bond or something if he can speak with an attorney. But it's been well over a month now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not wish to call

So yes the court should arraign him here, when they set bond then then they should appoint him a lawyer.The lawyer should then visit him in court or jail to discuss his case and representation.It is normal for the appointed lawyer to try and meet him and talk about lowering bond.You have to be careful here, if you can bond out then court can say you can afford a lawyer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay so he's been there about 35 days. How many days does an attorney have to contact him?

Law requiring appointment of lawyer

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.26.htm

Criminal files are public record why don't you call the District Clerk here and see if lawyer has been appointed and give him a call if there is one and ask when he will meet with your loved one.

Clerks list by county

http://www.cdcatexas.com/Directory/Clerks

You can get a case number, judge, and lawyer if there was one appointed.Also they will tell you when any preliminary hearing is scheduled.That way you can help here and communicate with the loved one here in jail.

This will help you understand the process in Texas

http://texaslawhelp.org/files/685E99A9-A3EB-6584-CA74-137E0474AE2C/attachments/3386877F-915F-4A26-8F94-EC2128913600/txcriminaljusticeprocess.pdf

I do appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you and your loved one the best here with his case.He would get credit here for jail time if he were to plead guilty or be found guilty.This is not wasted time here prior to trial or plea.

If you can rate 5 stars it is truly much appreciated.