Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I was charged with obstruction of justice. The officer

Customer Question

I was charged with obstruction of justice. The officer claims he seen something in my mouth but I must have swallowed it. I asked him to take me to the hospital but he refused saying I'll be ok. My argument is this, if I actually swallow drugs why wasn't I seen by some medical person? How strong is this charge to hold in court?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 21 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 21 days ago.

Here's the obstruction of justice statute for Louisiana.

To convict you beyond a reasonable doubt the state would have to prove not only that you tampered with evidence (swallowed it) but that if you hadn't it would prove to be contraband.

This would appear to be a very weak case for the state.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 21 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.