AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

Was arrested for disorderly conduct and simple assault in SC

Customer Question

Was arrested for disorderly conduct and simple assault in SC but the guy who said I assaulted him at the bar gave a fake name, address, and number. Do you think my case will be dropped?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: south carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No it happened over the weekend Will call one tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: First time being arrested, college student
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

It might be, but it depends on the facts of your case. It's really up to the prosecutor. If the guy gave fake information, can the prosecutor even find him and contact him? If they cannot even find the guy, then there's a good chance it'll be dropped, as they can't get in touch with their primary witness. If they can find him, he'll have to explain the reason for the fake information, as he basically filed a false police report in giving the fake information. If he doesn't have a good reason for why he did that, his credibility is severely damaged, because now he is definitely a liar. So how can the judge trust anything he says. On the other hand, if the police have lots of photos of the guy's injuries and the police can testify as to what happened, and they saw the injuries, and you admitted that you did it, or others told the police that you did it, then the prosecutor might be able to prove the case without bringing this guy into court that day. It just depends on the facts of your case. But it definitely helps you alot.