Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have a property that was seize by custom they came to my

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: i have a property that was seize by custom they came to my house with search warrant they didnt find nottn but siezed some property
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: september i live in indianapolis
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: but i received a letter for forfeiture of the property and clamimant claimanty
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 23 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 23 days ago.

The government can initiate a forfeiture such as this when they believe that the property is either the fruit or the instrumentality of a crime -- meaning that it was either paid for with illegally obtained money or being used to commit criminal acts.

They can't take it, however, without due process, which means you are entitled to a hearing on the matter. There's typically only a small window of opportunity to ask for that hearing. Your rights are enumerated in the letter you received, and there are lawyers who specialize in these hearings.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 22 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.