CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I need to know if a raid that occurred in my apartment

Customer Question

I need to know if a raid that occurred in my apartment yesterday was legitimate, or a robbery. And if it was a riad conducted by real police, I need insight on what things they definitely failed in procedure so I can get the case dismissed.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 20 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

If you have questions about whether or not it was actual law enforcement that came to your home and conducted the raid - you can contact the local police and ask.

You are not going to compromise yourself by contacting them and asking for this information (and if in fact it was a home invasion, law enforcement will want to know if there is a group of people conducting home invasions impersonating law enforcement).

However, if it was a police raid - enforcement of a search warrant - you will not want to answer any questions regarding the issue and will want to wait to speak with local counsel (I understand you tried contacting a few attorneys on Friday, but you will want to speak to them on Monday when they return to the office. Law enforcement officers may attempt to speak with you (informally or even arrest you - depending on what exactly they are investigating), but you should politely decline to speak with them without an attorney present. (Do not be misled by the offer to talk "informally").

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
They confiscated 4 ounces of marijuana and $50000 in cash. That would be enough to book and charge me. They didnt leave a receipt of what was taken. They didn't arrest me. All their writing was being done on yellow legal pad paper, including the phone number the one ''officer'' left for me to call. They want ME to do the follow up. I feel like if it was a real raid I would be in jail right now, and there would be paperwork on it. Neither of these things exist.

You have 2 options:

1) You can contact the local police and let them know (as noted above - they are likely to be very concerned about a local group impersonating law enforcement in this way - home invasions are very serious).

2) You can wait until Monday and contact a local attorney to have them do this for you.