Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

In 2009 my husband and i got into a fight, it resulted with

Customer Question

In 2009 my husband and i got into a fight, it resulted with the police arriving, they arrested me, the wife, with the charge being Class A assault, domestic/family violence, (never mind that he outweighed me by 100 lb.s and nearly a foot taller and had placed his own lock mechanism inside the door, kept the key in his pocket and was refusing to allow me to leave the home.) After posting bail, i hired an attorney, $5,000 later it was reduced to a Class C misdemeanor assault, which i believe there may have been a small fine, like $200 maybe? Is this something i need to list on job/school applications? The attorney i hired said that a class c is the same as a speeding ticket, but that for it being reduced, i can never expunge it. How serious is this if i wish to apply to Veterinary school? Should i choose another career option?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 24 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm sorry to hear this happened. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Unfortunately yes, your attorney is correct that as a class C misdemeanor it won't qualify to be expunged. On the veterinary school application, and in job applications later on, you will be asked whether you've been arrested or convicted of a crime. So yes, it may have a negative impact in the future. Before deciding to change career paths, if veterinary medicine is something you're really interested in, I think it could be worth it to call around to a few veterinary schools and inquire about where they stand on the issue. You may very well still be admissible into their programs; most places may just want some explanation into the details surrounding the case. However, as you explained it may not have been a correct or fair accusation, and the charges were also reduced-- facts which work in your favor.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you!

You're welcome, no problem!

Please take a moment to kindly rate me at this time as I've answered your questions and addressed your concerns, and as a positive rating is the only way the JustAnswer site compensates me for my time. It's free to rate me, and I can still answer any follow-up questions you might have, even after rating me. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 21 days ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!