Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

I am in need of assistance regarding an active warrant for

Customer Question

I am in need of assistance regarding an active warrant for FTA in which I attempted to inform the court I was Ill, but was issued a warrant and contempt for missing the date. I am requesting a reschedule and lift
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Indiana. April
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My court appointed attorney can not provide this service, because he is a public defender. I was advised to hire one and have been trying to save ever since. That is why I need to attempt to have it lifted by the judge, before it takes too much more of their time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The charge is a PI, in which I was issued a long form warrant. Additionally, there is no police report. Only my sobriety test. No labs
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 26 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

My best recommendation is that you hire a private attorney to put a court date on calendar before the judge and put before the court a Motion to Set Aside the Warrant. This is basically a motion explaining why you missed the court date, outlining the efforts you made to let the court know ahead of time, and the reason you are not a "flight risk" and will be present at all future court dates.

The only other option would be to turn yourself into the police station, however it would be advisable to secure an attorney beforehand to put the above mentioned Motion before the court instead. In the meantime, you want to ensure you don't get into any trouble involving police officers because the bench warrant will immediately appear in their database system.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 25 days ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!