CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

How hard is it to get a continuation? And how can I get it

Customer Question

How hard is it to get a continuation? And how long can I get it for ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

A Judge will grant a continuance, upon the showing of good cause. As such, a party would need to show and support why they need the matter continued. As far as the length of time, it all depends on what needs to be done and/or the delay, which is preventing the case from moving forward.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need a month to retain my old attorney
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like your take of the possibilities of a case

There is nothing wrong with asking for a 30 day continuance, to retain counsel and be able to afford their fees. It is reasonable and the Judge should grant it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about the case

I am happy to answer any question you may have about that but kindly just ask that you rate my help here, at the top and then can post the other question and I will be able to respond.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you need to see paper work ?

If you think it is relevant you can upload it and I can take a look but as I shared, I do need you to rate my help first so the site will give me credit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How should I ask I have prior felons and am on parole . I would like 2 months and I can pay him off in full 1 month will only allow me to retain him ? i feel uncomfortable going in with representation due to the false accusations and lies the cops have already told

Great to hear back from you this morning. As I shared, I am more then happy to answer this question but since it is outside the scope of your original, I just need for you to rate my help at the top. Thank you for understanding.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You never finished my question how I asked ?

Your original question was about a continuance, which I answered. I know see you are asking about specific about the case, which is outside the scope of this. As I shared, I am happy to answer it but need credit for the first part.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I asked you how should I ask about the continuation as well you disregarded the question asking for the rating
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand that ? You need rated for your previous work

I am sorry but I do not understand. What else can I clarify for you, about the continuance?

You have a few open questions, so someone else may be working on your other answers. I responded on this page to your question about asking for a continuance and what you must show

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How should I ask I have prior felons and am on parole . I would like 2 months and I can pay him off in full 1 month will only allow me to retain him ? i feel uncomfortable going in with representation due to the false accusations and lies the cops have already told ?...This is what I sent you earl
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please answer this

You should stress to the Judge that the need for legal representation is imperative, since you are on parole and the charge could end up violating you and send you back to prison. You want to advise the Judge that you will be prejudiced if you do not have counsel and should ask the Judge for 30 days, to try and retain counsel and then ask for a status hearing, so you can inform the Court of where you are in the process.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ask for a for a status hearing when ?

In 30 days, after the continuance is granted, so you can keep the Judge up to date as the status regarding hiring legal counsel.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
prejudiced ?

Yes, something that effects your legal rights and can harm/hurt your case.

Did this help clarify?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!