Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

Can i file charges against a person who forced my partner to

Customer Question

Can i file charges against a person who forced my partner to sign a falsified DVP? The father filled the report out she never read it was scared not to sign it. It has been dropped she filed for a dismissal and said her father lied on it and she was scared not to do it. Is there anything i can bring against the father for doing this? this is not his first time 6 months ago he threatened her trying to get her to get a restraining order but she wouldn't but this time he tricked her
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 26 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few moments to prepare some information for you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
This was in West Virginia

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, and that it seems to be a recurrent issue. The only possible legal charge that I believe could be brought against the father is the falsification of a police report. It's illegal to knowingly make false police reports, and it's frowned upon by both police officers and judges because it's not only a waste of the officers' time, but also of the court's time and resources.

My recommendation would be to go into your local police station and make a report about this. Make sure to bring with you copies of the paperwork from the court showing that the case was dismissed, and it would also be helpful if your girlfriend came with you to let the officers know that she was tricked into signing it and that she knows her father was being purposely misleading.

Hopefully the police will take action on it, but if they don't immediately, at least you are creating a formal record so that you have it as evidence should anything come up again in the future.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
a DVP would be considered a false police report?

Yes that's correct, since a DVP usually has to be filled out by speaking with a law enforecement officer. If the father knew that the allegations were false, and if he tricked his daughter into signing it, then it constitutes filing a false report, and your girlfriend's testimony would significantly help in proving this.

I hope that helps clarify. Please take a moment at this time to kindly rate me using the stars at the top of this page, as it's actually the only way the site compensates me for my time. You can still ask me any follow-up questions even after rating me. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 24 days ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!