Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I have two dui convictions. One in 2008 the other in 2011.

Customer Question

I have two dui convictions. One in 2008 the other in 2011. Also a resisting arrest from 2010. No one was injured and all penalties and fines have been served. Nothing is outstanding. My pardoning is less than a year away. I have a valid Canadian passport. All convictions were processed as summary convictions. Would I be able to travel for a weeks holiday to St Lucia or Mexico?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Were any of these felony convictions?

Many travelers with a DUI infraction attest to having no difficulty crossing the border for a visit while others have been turned away and refused entry. All of the following factors may come into play at the point of entry:

(1) The severity of the infraction: If the offence was prosecuted as a misdemeanor, it is more likely that it will not be a problem for Mexican authorities; however, if a DUI felony conviction has been rendered, the situation will be more serious. According to Mexican law, any type of DUI conviction is a felony, but they are aware of the differences in other countries.

(2) The length of time since the DUI occurred: If you have been convicted of drunk driving within the past decade, you can be refused entry into Mexico.

(3) The consequences that were paid: When crossing the border into Mexico, it does matter that all jail terms, probationary periods, and monetary penalties have been completed. Any unresolved issues related to a DUI case could prevent a traveler from being allowed into Mexico.

Lying about a DUI or neglecting to mention it will only make matters worse. It sounds as if you are only on summary probation and have served all of your time and it is doubtful that you will have a problem as long as this is the case and there is no restriction to leaving the country ordered by the Judge. Mexico normally does not do criminal background checks on tourists entering, so again, there should be no problem.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?