Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

I was convicted of petty theft in Kansas, Wichita, Are you

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I was convicted of petty theft in Kansas
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wichita
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: Are you going to help
JA: No. I'm the Criminal Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: No I haven't talked to one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's 364 . I was wondering what could happen I have zero criminal records and it's from the place I worked at and I told them what I did before they wanted to know about what happen it was a reasonable convo with me and my manger but he still called the cops
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

So you mean you have been charged, or have you already been convicted?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Charged

Please hold on while I review your question and type a response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't have money like that

I see that you don't want a phone call, but we can continue with this chat - okay?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yea that's fine

Was the value of the item less than $1,000?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I just get answer please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's $384

Theft of property in Kansas is a class A misdemeanor if the value of the item was less that $1,000 under Kansas law. (Kan. Stat. Ann. § 21-3701(b)(5), § 21-3704(e)(3).) This is commonly referred to as petty theft. A class A misdemeanor carries up to one year of jail time and/or a fine of no more that $2,500. Since you indicated that you have no prior conviction, you may qualify for pretrial diversion to avoid criminal prosecution and once you compete the program and pay restitution and do community service, the charges would be dropped. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Do you have any further questions? Were you satisfied with the services I provided to you today?