Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I had a rental car in atlanta last year and was 2 weeks late

Customer Question

I had a rental car in atlanta last year and was 2 weeks late when i dropped it off. I now reside in texas. I was told that i have a gta warrant. Can they extradite me? Im Working so can i pay a fine or anything?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Georgia; jan. 2016
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it a felonious warrant?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Has the car been returned, and have the late fees all been paid?

Is there a case against you or are they just looking for you because of the car theft?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
car is returned and as for as a csse i dont know. A police officer just told my dad i had an in house warrsmt
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. Give me a few minutes to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Grand Theft Auto is a felony.

This sounds like the rental car company did what they always do after someone keeps a car longer than the rental contract allows for: they reported the car as stolen.

There's only one way to get rid of a warrant, and that is to turn yourself in on it and face the music. To win this case, the state would have to prove that you intended to steal the car beyond a reasonable doubt. As you returned it and paid for it before you even knew the police were looking for you, that would go a long way to proving a lack of intent to steal the vehicle. So I think that if this case ever gets to court, it would be reduced or dismissed. But until you come back to deal with it, the warrant would be out there. States do extradite on felony warrants. So yes, you are at risk of being held accountable for that warrant even in Texas.

The most efficient way to deal with this is to contact a Georgia lawyer and see whether he can make this go away. It's possible, for example, that the rental agency won't care about prosecuting now that the car has been returned and paid for and that the police could lift the warrant without you even having to return to Georgia. But if you do have to return, he can set up a voluntary surrender whereby he could minimize the amount of time, if any, you'd have to spend in custody waiting to see the judge and to get arraigned on these charges.