Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE BUT I FOUND OUT 4 YEARS AGO THAT I

Customer Question

I NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE BUT I FOUND OUT 4 YEARS AGO THAT I HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD, I TALKED TO THE PROSECUTOR OFFICE WHERE THE RECORD CAME FROM AND THEY SAID IT'S MINE FOR EVER EVEN THOUGH THEY KNOW IT IS NOT ME THE PERSON DIDN'T USE MY S.S NUMBER BUT HAD ENOUGH INFORMATION TO SAY IT WAS ME, I CAN'T GET JOBS BECAUSE OF IT WHAT CAN I DO
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you! I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Unfortunately it sounds like you were the victim of identity theft. Traditionally identity theft refers to your tax returns or other financial accounts being stolen or meddled with, but it can also include situations like yours where someone gives your name and identifying information to police officers.

My recommendation would be to file an identity theft report, and to have a copy of that report with you when you go into job interviews or make job applications so that you can preemptively explain the situation to employers and provide them with some solid evidence that you were a victim of identity theft. Identity theft happens, so hopefully with a report in your hands, employers will be more understanding.

In order to file an identity theft report, here's what you'll need to do:

"1. Submit a complaint about the theft to the FTC. When you finish writing all the details, print a copy of the report. It will print as an Identity Theft Affidavit.

2. File a police report about the identity theft, and get a copy of the police report or the report number. Bring your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit when you file a police report.

3. Attach your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit to your police report to make an Identity Theft Report."

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!