Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Can I sue the police department for slandering my name when

Customer Question

Can I sue the police department for slandering my name when what I got caught with wasn't methamphetamine and they put it on the news
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am afraid that you are not going to be happy with my answer. But you can not successfully sue the police for slander. The reason is because the police (and all government agencies) have been given what is called Immunity form Suit for almost all wrongs that they may commit in the course of their job.

Only in very very rare cases can a lawsuit be successfully brought against the police. Those cases involve violations of your Civil Rights under the Constitution. Unfortunately your reputation is not included in those Civil Rights.

I am sorry that this is not what you wanted to hear, but I would not want to mislead you into pursuing something that has nor real chance of success. That would only cause you to spend time, energy and resources on something that won't work.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald