Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A

If someone is charged with armed robbery but the gun isnt

Customer Question

If someone is charged with armed robbery but the gun isnt brandish is that still considered arm robbery?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. At the end of this discussion I am going to ask you to please rate me, since that is the only way I get credit for my time here today—this is at no extra cost to you.

Please note: The general information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In what state did this occur?

In most jurisdictions, a person commits armed robbery when he takes something from someone else, using force, violence or intimidation, while carrying or displaying a dangerous weapon. Brandishing the firearm is not a requirement. In fact, brandishing a firearm is usually a separate offense. Brandishing a weapon is when a deadly weapon or firearm is drawn in the presence of another person and it was drawn in a rude, angry or threatening manner or drawn unlawfully in a fight or quarrel. So brandishing a firearm is not an element of the offense of robbery - only carrying or displaying a firearm is one of the elements of the offense of robbery. Do you have any other questions?

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.