Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A

I was in a hospital parking lot and bumped a woman's car

Customer Question

I was in a hospital parking lot and bumped a woman's car causing no damage and parking about 4 spaces away I ran into the hospital and came out and a witness claimed I did damage to her car and tried to hide my car, never happened I left a note on her car and never left the corner of parking lot, I was arrested and charged with hit skip, do I need a lawyer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. At the end of this discussion I am going to ask you to please rate me, since that is the only way I get credit for my time here today—this is at no extra cost to you.

Please note: The general information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes - you should hire a lawyer immediately and don't make any more statements to the police or anyone else about the incident until you speak with a local attorney. The statute involved is Ohio Revised Statutes, Section 4549.021. Hit skip in Ohio is typically a first degree misdemeanor which carries up to 180 days in jail and up to $1000 in fines. This offense would be considered a fifth degree felony if the accident or collision resulted in serious harm to another person. So as you can see, the courts take this offense very seriously. Since you are defending against a misdemeanor charge, I always recommend that individuals retain counsel when it is a jailable offense. If you are found guilty, for a first offense, if no one was injured, you will most likely just be charged a fine. In addition, the judge will suspend your driver's license for a period between six months and three years. However, a good attorney may be able to get the charge dismissed or reduced, given the facts you have presented.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Do you have any further questions? Were you satisfied with the services I provided to you?