Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How to format letter to judge on sentencing do new charge

Customer Question

How to format letter to judge on sentencing do new charge while being on probation.
Charge possession with intent to distribute.
This 16 bags were for personal use..
My friend was paroled after serving 5 years.
Upon his release he was so into making his mother proud ,he knew how much he hurt her by committing crime of robbery.
While trying to obtain housings he started to learn how hard it was going to be,same with seeking work.
The problem here was he was not prepared to deal with all of society's hurdles, the realization that he was going to continually pay for that mistake started to engulf him.
He was overwhelmed and started using and got involved with social media. He had a relationship that the x husband started to wreck. The police raided hiss home.
I believe if he was sentenced to a program he would be better off incarceration will only keep him unprepared to deal with society rather how to get things done to remain free and become a productive citizen.
JA: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Conn.
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: Yes she wants letters sent to judge.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hd is very upset with himself for hurting his mom.
I told him when he got out to go slow that it would feel like being let loose in candy store with no supervision.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Are you asking how to write the letter to the judge on behalf of your friend?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At this time I'll put letter together myself. I thought I'd have it done by you but by your answer I'd still have to write it myself.

I am almost finished writing it.

To the Honorable (put judge's name),

I am writing on behalf of my friend (put his name) and I am asking that you show leniency and consider several factors that led to my friends possession and abuse of drugs.

Upon his release from prison, (name of friend) wanted to make his mother proud after hurting her by committing the crime of robbery. However, he found life after his release to be extremely challenging.

While trying to obtain housing and work, he faced financial and societal hurdles. His prison record haunted him. Many did not want to take a chance because of his prison record.

The social and financial pressures overwhelmed him. This led to an escape into old coping habits. He used

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I'll do the letter.
Thank you
I'll be submitting another law issue later.

He used drugs to self medicate and reconnected with his ex-girlfriend who also abused drugs. This was the wrong choice. However, he was not given many choices.
I am praying that you have compassion on this lost soul. I believe if he were sentenced to a drug rehabilitation program he would be better off than being incarcerated again. Prison will only keep him unprepared to deal with society. He needs help in overcoming his drug addition. He needs to learn to become a productive citizen.

OK. Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll try my week. Then decide